Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Approaching my Personal "Event Horizon"

In general relativity, an event horizon is a boundary in spacetime beyond which events cannot affect an outside observer. In layman's terms, it is defined as the shell of "points of no return", i.e., the points at which the gravitational pull becomes so great as to make escape impossible, even for light.

I think Wikipedia is a great thing.  But the above is general relativity what does it have to do with me?  Well picture me as an object being inexorably drawn into the black hole.  Replace the black hole with MS.  Get the picture?  I am not at the point of no return yet.  I am hoping that we can find some way to steer off the course that sucks me past the event horizon...but...it is approaching fast.

The Claridine treatment has had no effect.  Two pretty drastic treatments have now failed me and there are not a lot of options left.  There is, supposedly, a new drug that may be effective on Primary and Secondary Progressive MS and hopefully next week I can learn more when I see my neurologist in London.

In the meantime the bad days are getting worse and the good days are not so hot.  Taking a shower takes an hour.  Getting out of bed an hour.  Getting into bed a speedy 45 minutes.  I can still walk around the house if just barely and not all the time.   A wheelchair is a constant companion.  What is more worrying is the development of significant weakness in my arms and hands.  Loss of my hands would be that event horizon.


No comments:

Post a Comment